In 1920, The Women's Club of Trinity Church established The Christmas Shop as a fundraising event to benefit the Wilmington community. The first of its kind, our event has served as a model for similar shops throughout the country. Just since 1999, The Christmas Shop Foundation has donated more than $1,000,000 to 130 charitable organizations in Delaware.
The Christmas Shop was originally held in the showroom of the Wilmington Auto Company, now the Nemours Building. In 1924, the event moved to the Gold Ballroom of the Hotel du Pont, and in 1983, to the DuPont Country Club. The Christmas Shop was incorporated in 1952. In 1983, we became a community organization independent of Trinity Church, and a formal grant program was adopted in 1986.
The Christmas Shop Foundation is an independent volunteer organization committed to improving the Delaware community by raising funds for a variety of non-profit programs that enrich lives and help people in need.
HISTORY OF THE CHRISTMAS SHOP
"THE LONGEST RUNNING CHRISTMAS SHOP IN THE UNITED STATES."
In 2003, in order to heighten community awareness of our fundraising efforts, our organization was re-named The Christmas Shop Foundation, and a formal mission statement was adopted. The Perfect Gift was introduced as the name of our premier fundraising event.
As The Christmas Shop Foundation celebrates over 90 years, it has never faltered from its place as a viable organization in the community, and it continues its commitment to enriching lives and helping people in need throughout the state.